MONDAY APRIL 24TH 2017
HOW TO BE AN AUTHOR EVENT @ The Sassoon Room
Where: The Free Word Centre, 60 Farringdon Road, London, EC1R 3GA
When: 6.30pm – 9pm
How much: Tickets cost £16 per person
(to book email email@example.com *and* CC firstname.lastname@example.org)
The dream has come true. You’re a published author!
But what happens after the happily ever after? How do you survive post-publication day? How do you keep up momentum for your second (and third, and fourth) books? And how, in a world where author incomes are shrinking, do you keep paying the rent?
Today’s authors don’t just need to be good with words – they need to be event planners, public speakers, marketers and sales people. These are all skills that you need to learn – and we’re here to help teach you.
In this session we’ll aim to explain all the different parts of an author’s day job, and help you navigate every pitfall you may face, from 300 twelve year olds in an auditorium to one bad Goodreads review. We’ll help you become the kind of confident, prepared and clued-up author you need to be to survive the world of children’s books and emerge triumphant with that coveted second (and even third!) book deal.
- The launch and beyond: how to prepare yourself for publication, and what happens next.
- Selling yourself: how to help your book swim, not sink.
- School visits: how to get them, how to cope with them, how to make the most of them
- Making money: we talk advances, finances and taxes.
- The bad and the ugly: how to cope with inevitable disappointment.
- Keeping up momentum: turning your book deal into a career.
This event is aimed at helping authors who have a contract with publishers, whether they are already published or on the journey to publication.